By now you have seen plenty top of the year lists, but it is time that Movie Reviews From Gene Shalit’s Moustache reveals our top five films for the year 2010. The following films are presented in alphabetical order. When it comes time to predict who a Globe or Oscar we will worry about putting one film over another.
1. 127 Hours- Danny Boyle delivers a harrowing and engrossing film that basically consists of one man trapped by a rock for 90 minutes. The film will have you looking at your own life in a different light when you finish watching it.
2. Black Swan- A tremendous return for Darren Aronofsky to the film maker who blew everyone away with “PI” and “Requiem For A Dream.” Natalie Portman makes the case that no one else should even be nominated for a best actress award this year.
3. Exit Through The Gift Shop- The “reverse” documentary from street artist Banksy is one of the best films in a while to explore fame, ego, culture and counter-culture. It is a film that will appeal to anyone, even those who have no idea what street art is.
4. Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World- Not only the best comedy in the past few years, but an all around fantastic film that will please everyone at some level. This is also the only film to date to properly pair video game analogies to real world situations. Edgar Wright is a master film maker and if you have not seen it yet, “Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World” is a MUST SEE!
5. True Grit- The Coen Brothers skip over the direct remake of the 1969 classic western and use the original source material to creat a modern masterpiece. A story of missing innocence and forgotten archetypes, “True Grit” is gorgeous on a visual and story level.
There you have it. Have any thoughts you want to share with us here at The ‘Stache, please do so, we would love to hear what you think are the top films of 2010. The 2011 season is gearing up and “The Green Hornet” is a good start to the year. We can only hope for more great fair this year and look forward to giving you the skinny on so many films this year and discussing them with you.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! (Soon)